Report Shows Increases in Tuition and Federal Aid
- public four-year colleges and universities raised in-state tuition and fees an average of 8% during the 2010-2011 school year. However, students are receiving record increases in federal grant aid to compensate.
- public four-year colleges and universities have increased at an average annual rate of 6% beyond inflation over the past 10 years, compared to 3% at public two-year colleges and 3% at private nonprofit four-year institutions.
- largest increase in Pell Grant history led to $28.2 billion in grant aid for 7.7 million students during the 2009-2010 school year, which is an increase of almost $10 billion from the previous year.
CSU considers more tuition hikes – San Jose Mercury News
- midyear tuition hike of 5 percent for undergraduates, credential candidates and graduate students
- an additional 10 percent increase starting in fall 2011
- CSU has raised tuition four times since 2007